Reckless 80L System (v2.0)
The Reckless 80L (v2.0) is a rackless pannier/duffle system that easily mounts on any motorcycle, with or without pannier racks. We designed this system for minimalist offroad riding/camping and international fly-to-ride trips. It’s perfect for BDR-style travel on any sized bike, from a big BMW 1200GSA to a 250cc dualsport. For rear-fueling bikes like the KTM 690, the R80 v2.0 now has a fueling hole in the middle of the rear centerpiece.
The Reckless is 100% waterproof, with three separate removable 800D polyurethane coated (PVC free) drybags that slide/strap into an outer “holster” that stays attached to the bike. If you’re setting up a new bike, the Reckless system saves you the added weight and expense of metal pannier racks, while still providing a traditional 3-bag organizational system (i.e. two side panniers and a duffle).
All three drybags have roll-top closures, and they can be easily accessed throughout the day, so you don't have to mess with the holster attachment straps to access your food, clothes, or tools. The rear center bag is our Stinger 22 drybag, which has stashable backpack straps, and works great as an airline carry-on or as a day pack for short hikes or trips to town. The side bags are interchangeable, and include a clear panel on the front so you can easily find your gear.
The Reckless 80 has separate rear pockets on both sides, which are perfect for storing extra gas, water, tools, and tubes - anything you need quick access to throughout the day. It features two panels of two-column MOLLE webbing on the legs, and one panel of three-column MOLLE webbing on the rear beavertail, so the bag can easily be expanded with a wide variety of MOLLE attachments.
The overlapping rear beavertails are a perfect spot to tuck a motorcycle jacket when it’s not in use, or to store wet things - like a tent rainfly, towel, or campsite garbage – that you don't want inside your drybag. The inside panels of the beavertails include a tent pole holder, a removable map pocket, and a mesh pocket for wet/dry items like toothbrush/toothpaste.
New for 2017 - the Reckless 80L now includes our Tent Pole Bag, a welded-seam, roll-top drybag to protect your tent poles and keep them secure while you ride.
The Reckless 80L comes with a laser-cut aluminum exhaust heat shield and a hose clamp to attach it. It also includes a separate 20L Drysak bag, which can be used to keep dirty/wet items (like shoes or towels) separate from your other belongings.
In 2016 we redesigned the R80 harness as a 3-piece system, which can be disassembled for an international fly-to-ride trip. The entire system fits conveniently in a roll-aboard bag. If you have a crash on a long trip, the various components can be repaired or replaced individually, saving cost and hassle.
To expand the capacity of your Reckless 80, add a Tracker 10L or Tracker 20L drybag with a set of Simple Cinch Straps. There are two aluminum d-rings on the rear beavertail of the Reckless 80 which are specifically designed for holding these two bags. Run the Simple Cinch Straps through the webbing pass-throughs. See this picture, this picture, and this picture for examples. On the Tracker 20, leave the removable beavertail at home when you're mounting it on the Reckless 80.
For more pics of the Reckless 80 on various makes/models of bikes, try searching on google, or visiting our advrider.com thread (in the 'Vendor' forum).
Included in your order are two pieces of Velcro. Use these to put on the underside of the Stinger 22 when used as a backpack to prevent Velcro from catching on your clothing.
Download a PDF for Reckless 80 V2 below:
Click for Assembly Instruction Booklet
a) Every Reckless 80 and Reckless 40 comes with an included heat shield. Please use the heat shield! Exhaust and exhaust heat burns are not covered by your warranty. Before you leave for your trip, we recommend checking and double checking that no part of the bag or your bike's plastics are contacting the exhaust. On dual-exhaust bikes or bikes with especially high/exposed pipes, you will need a second heat shield, which is available for purchase in the 'Hardware & Parts" section of our website. When installing the Reckless system on your bike, please make sure the exhaust is not blowing directly on the bag. In general, make sure the bag is not touching or close to extreme heat; go physically around the bag daily, cinch it tight, and make any necessary adjustments.
b) The Reckless 80 and Reckless 40 were designed for rugged riding. They have a durable hypalon and ballistic nylon backing that can rub against the plastic parts of the bike, resulting in minor abrasion. Please take precautions if you do not want your bike parts marred by placing a clear adhesive sheet to where abrasion may occur on your motorcycle. Some examples of protective products are listed below. We suggest taking a short test ride with protection applied and with a loaded Reckless installed on the bike to assure satisfactory results.
d) There are many "wear points" on the Reckless system that are different on every bike. See this video for examples. These could be on the bottom of the bag - where the harness touches the bike or luggage rack - or on the drybags themselves, where they contact the harness, tent poles, or other items. After your first day or two of riding, please inspect the bags carefully, identify high-friction wear points, and either remedy the friction or apply a sacrificial 'patch' that can be periodically replaced before the bag itself is damaged. In particular, it is normal for the fabric on the bottom of the harness to show wear, and this does not affect the structural integrity of the bag nor its waterproofing.
- If friction causes the fabric on the bottom of your bag to wear through, this is not a big deal. There is a hard plastic plate inside the Reckless harness that will prevent the friction from reaching your drybags, and thereby affecting the functionality of the system. Fabric, vibrating under pressure between the hard plastic inside the harness and a hard metal bike part, will eventually wear out. To prevent this, apply a sacrificial patch to the wear point, or apply some padding on the bike.
- If your connection straps are wrapping around a sharp metal edge, for example on a bag mounting cleat, foot peg, or luggage rack, and the straps begin to show signs of wear, it is critical to address the wear before the strap is too far worn to use. Either file/grind the sharp edge, or apply (and maintain) a sacrificial 'sleeve' for the webbing made from fabric, additional webbing, or duct tape. A sharp metal edge vibrating under pressure will eventually wear through webbing, sometimes quickly. If this occurs, take some extra webbing to a local sewing shop and they should be able to easily repair the damage.
- Easily mounts in minutes to virtually any make/model of motorcycle.
- 80L total capacity, with 25L in each side bag, 22L in the rear duffle, and 4L in each of the two rear pockets. All three bags feature roll tops which can be expanded significantly to accommodate more gear. Using all the vailable storage capacity, this bag can expand to over 100L of total space.
- At 11.3 pounds, the entire Reckless 80 system both weighs and costs less than most metal pannier racks alone – that’s just for the racks, not including the weight savings of the bags themselves.
- 100% waterproof, with three separate 800D polyurethane coated (PVC free) welded-seam drybags that feature clear front panels on the side bags so you can see where your stuff is without having to open the bag. Rear drybag is our Stinger 22 tailbag, with backpack straps and a front pocket.
- All three drybags can easily be detached/removed from the outer holster for easy access by the campfire or in your tent without removing the outer holster from the bike.
- Side bags also have a removable welded-in stiffener to increase lateral stiffness and make it easier to jam them down into the holster. Side dry bags also have a webbing handle at the bottom so you can reach up from the bottom and pull them down into the holster.
- Rear drybag is stored under two overlapping rear beavertails, which are also a great spot for storing bulky, wet, or last-minute items like groceries or vegetables.
- Outer holster made from 1680D ballistic nylon, with bomber hypalon armor panels on the side legs to protect the holster from abrasion. Holster has an internal PE stiffener that runs the entire length of the bag, so it won’t flop around while you are riding.
- Holster/inner bag system protects the inner bag from abrasion when the bike is dropped, so the bags can sustain multiple crashes/drops without affecting the waterproofing of the inner bag.
- Side storage pockets on both side legs of the bag can fit up to two 1L fuel bottles per side or one 2L Dromedary bag per side, for a total extra storage capacity of 1 gallon of gas or water.
- Side storage pockets are also an excellent spot to store tools, tubes, and tire irons so you don’t have to fish through the main body of the bag to fix a flat.
- Double-strip MOLLE on the front of each leg, and triple strip MOLLE on top of the rear beavertail, for quick attachment/removal of MOLLE accessories such as hydration bladder, extra storage, fuel bottles, etc. Easily add additional water, fuel, or tool storage via optional MOLLE compatible accessories.
- Two separate mesh pockets on the inside surface of the front beavertail are perfect for holding a Spot/InReach and/or toothbrush and other wet/dry items.
- A removable clear map pocket on the rear beavertail is perfect for storing paper maps or bike documents, and it can be removed for easy viewing at the campfire, clearing border customs, or taking into a restaurant.
- Comes with convenient velcro tent pole or camp chair holders on the inside of the beavertail, so you can store your tent poles in a spot that is protected in the event of a crash.
- 2 side compression straps and 1 top compression strap on each side leg plus a roll-top closure, for superior compression/expansion capabilities. Bike can be ridden with all three dry bags removed from the holster.
- Aluminum stiffener at the bottom of each leg, to add lateral stiffness while providing multiple mounting angles for each leg.
- Leg attachment straps are removable, not sewn-on, so they can be easily field-repaired/replaced in the event of a crash.
- Two aluminum D rings on the rear beavertail provide a convenient spot to site-down a separate drybag or stuff sack for added storage capacity if needed.
- Comes with an aluminum heat shield and hose clamp to protect the underside of the bag from exhaust burns.
- Can easily be locked to the bike and locked closed using our Steelcore Locking Straps.
- Included in your order are two pieces of Velcro. Use these to put on the underside of the Stinger 22 while using as a backpack, as it can sometimes scratch certain fabrics you are wearing.
Please note: the actual dimensions of this bag will vary considerably based on how it is packed and how tightly it is compressed to the bike. All the bags can be expanded/contracted significantly.
Leg Holster with Drybag Inserted:
- Length: 17.5" top to bottom (can be extended significantly with roll top)
- Width: 8.5" main body, 12" with rear pocket
- Thickness: 7"
Rear Beavertails with Duffle Inside:
- Width (side to side): 11”
- Height (top to bottom): 10”
- Length (front to back): 13”
Weight: Approx 11.3 lbs
Dimensions: 6.5" x 3.5". The lip that raises it off the exhaust is 1".
I am very impressed by the quality and the thought given to make the reckless 80. I was looking for something a bit lighter, more compact for my r1200gsa other than my hard panniers for offroad and this is the answer! They fit perfect and can transfer to any bike. Very durable and pockets in the most convenient spots. I am very impressed! I also like supporting small companies. Thanks Mosko for making such great products!
I could not be more happy with the Reckless 80 system! It was exactly what I was looking for! It fits both bikes and carries everything I need! It is VERY well made and well thought out!
The Reckless 80 is an amazing luggage system, and I was so glad to have it on my last trip. Quick and easy to assemble and install on a dr650. Easily held all my gear for a 4 day trip. If I needed access to anything during the ride, it was easy to get to due to the design of the system. Although I did not take advatage of it (yet!), you could add several accessories bags for more storage. Frankly, this is a bomber system, construction and design blew me away. My buddy who rode with me was leaning towards hard panniers for his next dual sport, but has since changed his mine after seeing the Reckless 80 and will be ordering one soon!
over the top engineered, very expensive - yes! But totally worth it!!
It works flawlessly fantastic design. I even bailed in the dunes at about 40 not even a mark, just dented the baked bean cans inside.Did not budge an inch. it lives up to all my expectations. I would highly recommend the reckless 80 to anyone who requires luggage system that really performs in true off road conditions. My only slight niggle is that for attaching individual items like hatchets or folding spades the front molle webbing runs 90 degrees out.