The Backcountry Pannier is our flagship product, designed for long-distance adventure touring, hardcore enduro-style riding, and camping from your bike. This kit includes one 35L bag and one 25L bag, to accommodate your bike's exhaust offset.
With bomb-proof construction and heavy-duty materials, these bags can really take a beating. Our quick-mount wedge system makes it easy to take the panniers on/off the bike so you can store them in your tent or have them by the fire without wrestling with straps.
This is the system for long distance travelers and people living off their bikes. Guides, instructors, and RTW riders: this system was designed for you.
We created the Backcountry Pannier because we were tired of over-the-seat soft panniers that flop around in rough terrain, have no external pockets or stash spots, disintegrate after a couple crashes, and are a total pain in the ass to get on and off the bike. We wanted something like a backpacking frame pack, but that mounts on your bike, and that stays connected to the bike and stays waterproof no matter how many times you lay the bike down.
The Backcountrys are super easy to click on and off the bike, and because the waterproofing is accomplished inside the bag (thanks to the two-bag system), minor external crashes and scuffs won’t faze your panniers at all. Thanks to the thick, welded seam internal liner, you’re also protected from internal abrasion: for example tools, or a camp stove, or some other hard piece of gear vibrating and rubbing against the inner surface over a long period of time.
New in 2019 for Version 2.0:
- We reintroduced the 25L size, and also the option of an offset kit for bikes with asymmetrical pannier racks to accommodate exhaust.
- We added an aluminum locking bar at the top of the bag, to accommodate a sliding cable lock or a Steelcore Strap, and a stash pocket inside the beavertail for a cable lock.
- We replaced the sewn-on rear pocket in the prior version with the new Dry Pocket system – a harness and drybag - which can be bolted to the front or rear of the pannier (or both), or removed entirely.
- We molded a new custom removable aluminum ladderlock buckle for the front beavertail, replacing the old stamped aluminum ones. The new buckle is as tough as the old one, but easier to adjust.
- We added MOLLE webbing behind the beavertail, and also a handy tool holder for larger items like a hatchet, knife, or saw.
- We added an extra layer of Hypalon armor on the outside of the beavertail and reflective panels on the sides.
Backcountry Weight Note: The Backcountry is heavier than the Scouts, and it’s also heavier than a traditional over-the-seat saddlebag. What you get for that weight is bomb-proof construction and materials, a completely stable mounting system (no flopping), and lots of stash spots. Lighter is not always better if it comes at the price of functionality or durability. If weight is your primary concern but you want to stick with a rack system, check out the Scout 25 panniers. If you’re really serious about weight, take off your racks (shaving 8-10 pounds off the bike) and get a Reckless 80 instead.
Wedge-Mount Compatibility Note: In July 2016, we switched the backcountry pannier wedge and frame from machined HDPE to molded glass-filled nylon. The new wedge/frame are not compatible with the old version. To determine which wedge/frame you have, check on the back of the wedge. If it is flat & smooth, that's HDPE. If it has an inset honeycomb pattern, that's molded nylon. We have extra wedges and frames of both materials in stock available for order by special request.
Cutout Pannier Rack Note: Bikes with stock racks and a pannier exhaust cutout (like the R1250GSA, R1200GSA or F800GSA for example) require an additional adapter. Check the 'Hardware & Parts' section of our site, or email us with questions.
Product Creation at Mosko is an effort born of necessity. Everyone on our team rides – and time on the trail translates to an innovative, always improving product line. Crafting gear that will outperform in even the most harsh riding conditions means we make no compromise, ever.
“So far these are hands down the best Panniers I’ve ever owned. Like most of us riders, I researched every option possible. Didn’t matter what country they came from or what I had to do to get them I just wanted the best functioning and bomb proof system around. In my opinion these are the best available.”